Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanks Giving for a Series of Miracles

This is all from Linda!

*****************************

Thanks Giving for a Series of Miracles

For all your kind thoughts and prayers, thank you. They worked!

I don’t have memory of what happened at the early and middle stages of the aneurism, brain surgery, and recovery, so I’ve been learning from this blog created and kept by my family. Here are some of the things I know about and am thankful for, at this time approaching Thanksgiving. It seems like I’ve been through not just one, but a series of miracles. Warning: this is long – there were a lot of miracles!

I am thankful:

* That I am still alive in the world to serve and see what happens next



* That after the stroke, my brain and mind work well, that I am not paralyzed on one side of my body, that I can speak normally.



* That the aneurism (with no previous warning signs) “just happened” to occur at work and that my office mate “just happened” to promptly find me unconscious on the floor, with difficulty breathing. If the burst aneurism had happened at home, I probably wouldn’t be around to write this.



* That co-workers promptly called 911 and checked on me. It “just happened” that the ambulance responded quickly and the hospital was nearby. I was difficult to intubate, which can happen with people with severe obstructive sleep apnea. My kids were told that I was without oxygen for 12 minutes. Since people can go only 3 to 5 minutes without oxygen without brain damage, either the 12 minute estimate was wrong, or there really was another miracle regarding my brain.



* That a tracheotomy done in emergency at the hospital allowed me to breathe.



* The saying goes “it isn’t brain surgery” –but wait, it is in this case. It “just happened” that Dr. Alexander Mason became my neurosurgeon. He was with the Cleveland Clinic and later as part of a fellowship did 200 aneurysm surgeries in one year. I’ve heard that some surgeons don’t want to do aneurysms because the fatality rate is so high, and those who survive surgery are “never the same.” He spoke frankly with my children, who were responsible for deciding whether to agree to surgery. (I had filled out legal papers previously.)



* I showed no movement on my left side and the prospects for recovery from future surgery didn’t look promising. When my kids returned to the hospital and asked how I was doing, the staff said “she’s writing!” Because of the trach, I couldn’t speak. Apparently I was in and out of consciousness and “just happened” to respond to questions by writing answers. That was enough for my kids to make the decision to agree to surgery.



* Throughout, my sons and daughters-in-law made wise decisions, ran interference with the hospital and my treatments, and were loving and supportive, visiting frequently.



* The surgeon and his team clipped the burst aneurism, and “just happened” to treat another one in even a more difficult place, that looked like it would burst in the future. I’m so glad for Dr. Mason’s skill.



* There is a risk of potentially deadly vasospasms particularly for 21 days after surgery, but I “just happened” to avoid one. ICU went well. I’m glad I don’t remember being on a ventilator. I was sedated for weeks. When I finally woke up and stayed awake, I found tubes everywhere, which were eventually removed as I became more functional.



* Almost all hospital staff who interacted with me said “you look great.” Good thing I didn’t see my swollen state after surgery! A couple of healthcare professionals called me a miracle. As the ICU aide wheeled me to rehab, he said excitedly ”we don’t send many people directly to rehab!”. Eventually I was able to speak with the trach, and eventually the trach apparatus was removed and the throat opening healed. Eventually my voice became more like its former self.



* After 6 weeks, I was finally able to leave the hospital. I was home for a weekend but awoke on Monday morning with a swollen, sore leg. It “just happened” that I had an appointment with my family doctor that day. She promptly sent me to Imaging for an ultrasound, and I was promptly admitted to hospital Emergency and then the hospital for several large, potentially deadly blood clots. She said a couple of times that she was so glad I saw her that day. Me too. See what I mean about a series of miracles?



* I completed at-home visits from a home healthcare service providing nursing and more physical and speech therapy assistance. Follow-up visits with the neurosurgeon, pulmonologist, cardiologist, and family doctor were scheduled. I graduated from a walker to a cane to good balance. I’m daily regaining muscle strength after being confined to a bed for six weeks.



* The hospital bill alone is almost $300,000, not counting doctors, radiology, labs, and the ambulance. Just one CT head scan is $4,000 and I had several, with one more scheduled soon. I’m grateful for healthcare insurance from work and Medicare.



* Your caring and love, cards and flowers, brightened the experience and still are very encouraging and treasured.



Thank you, God! Let’s celebrate Thanksgiving!

Linda

1 comment:

  1. Linda you are an amazing person and this Thanksgiving we all have many things to be thankful for and having you here to share more memories with is a BIG THANKS that we all share this year.

    Love you
    Janet

    ReplyDelete